Back Again!

It's great being back in beautiful Cornwall tucked away in our little hideaway near Ludgvan. Storm Dennis has just passed through and we can still see the magnificent St Michael's Mount while doing the washing up!


We're just away for a few days this time but the memories of those wonderful three months spent here during the summer of 2018 remain strong and clear. Since then I've shared with a few people how that time was arguably the best period of my life. It offered me (and Ruth) daily opportunities to grow in our understanding of God. Being away from it all without any distractions gave us a window to enjoy His love and celebrate what He’s given us. It was a time that helped me realise even more that in Him, there’s a fullness to life that we can't have without Him. We grew in our relationship with each other and we grew in our relationship with Jesus. A relationship that will last forever. So, with all that in mind we're 'Back Again' - our second trip to this part of the world since our mega three months of 2018. This time the weather isn't exactly what it was back in that wonderful summer. Check out the view from the car pack at Marazion ...

After arriving late on Sunday and feeling 'a bit under the weather', I was treated by my lovely Misses to a tasty 'Hello Fresh' feast of Chicken with bulgar wheat. Not sure what it was but it tasted delicious. 

And so to Monday, our first full day away. Ruth zoomed us off in her new Mini Cooper to Sennen Cove! Wow, it was spectacular with huge waves crashing over the headland.


The wind was wild and as we climbed the cliff to view Land's End in the distance we decided it would be far more comfortable to walk back down and visit Little Bo cafe over looking a magnificent coastal view!


Right choice, they do a great hot chocolate! I still wasn't 100% so rather than walk further we drove on to St Ives and lunch in another favourite haunt... 'Olive's'. Very tasty soup for me and feta cheese quiche for a more discerning Ruth. After a little walk and more rain we made our way back to our toasty little second home and another 'Hello Fresh' special from cook of the century, Ruth. Sweet and sour pork stir fry... yum, yum! After a bit of tele Ruth went off to read her book and I watched Apollo 13. What great movie, I remember when it actually happened.

Tuesday arrived and I felt so much better. So off we went to nearby Marazion and then a familiar coastal walk along to Perranuthno. It's our favourite beach in the whole world but you couldn't see much of it in this occasion. Nevertheless, this winter scene looked amazing and to make it even better the beach side cafe was open. Another hot chocolate... we're easily pleased! We walked up to the local church, the last time we were there the place was packed as the local congregation welcomed their new Curate the day after she'd been ordained. It felt good to be back in the building although this time we we're on our own.
We wandered back on the coastal path to Marazion and then on to our hideaway. Another quiet night in! It's so good being able to stop and simply re-charge our batteries.

On Friday, 21st February Ruth and I celebrate the 39th Anniversary of the day we first met and I asked her out! She is so oganised and I know she's already got a little gift to mark our special day. Meanwhile I've arrived with nothing! Oh dear! Typical bloke, so now I'm panicking! Any way I managed to negotiate a short shopping trip  into Penzance when I was able to go off by myself and find the ideal gift to wow my lovely misses when big day arrives on Friday.

Good news! I managed to get her a little something. Phew... I can relax! After Penzance it was off to Mousehole and fish & chips whilst overlooking the harbour until it started to rain at which point we moved to fish & chips in the car! Nevertheless the grub was very tasty. With the rain stopping we then wandered round this idyllic Cornish coastal village. Next it was off to walk round Ludgven where we spent three months attending the local church back in 2018. Sadly the church building was shut! So we walked back to our hideaway and crashed out. For some reason I started to feel a bit rough again, I wasn't really sure what the problem was but I definitely didn't seem right. I went to bed early and had very little sleep - how annoying.


Mercifully as I woke on Thursday morning I felt miles better. Nevertheless I was still a little fragile and so took my time getting up, have breakfast etc.. after all I'm on holiday so I can take it easy! About midday we set off for Helston. On route we stopped to have a look round the church at St Breage and then into Porth Levan for a hot chocolate and a wander round. The sun was out and the wind was blowing. This combination made the sea spectacularly beautiful. We travelled on to Helston and enjoyed lunch in a quaint little cafe before wandering up to the local church.
On route we picked up a couple of bakery buns and made our way to Perranuthno to eat them! Yum, yum! It was brilliant sitting on the rocks and watching the sea batter the shoreline. Marvellous! And so back for another cosy evening snuggled up  of the sofa watching rubbish on the tele. 

Oh dear, today (Friday 21st Feb) is the 39th anniversary of the day we first set eyes on each other and I boldly asked Ruth for her phone number! Sadly as we celebrate that memorable day poor Ruth has woken up with my lurgy! Still, we managed to walk down to Tremenheere Sculpture Gardens for a tasty cooked breakfast. Women deal better with 'Man Flu' symptoms so it was then off to St Micheal's Mount but half way across the causeway it became obvious we were going to get wet feet with the tide fast coming in.
We retreated and after a wander down the beach made our way Cape Cornwall and a lovely hot chocolate, a walk up to the top of the headland in gale force wind followed by more gazing at the mountainous waves crashing onto the shore. From there we motored onto Godrevy and the obligatory viewing of the seals. We took a gentle stroll back round the headland and were reminded again of God's amazing creation. Godrevy is such a beautiful spot and we never tire of looking at it. 

In the evening we settled for a TV dinner from the local Sainsbury. Sadly Ruth was by now struggling with a temperature and feel pretty rough. But... although this short break has been punctuated by poor health we've still had the opportunity to get away. I read my bible notes this morning (Saturday) and was left, once again, knowing that God loves us. This week has been another time to enjoy each other's company without the usual distractions of our roles back home. There have been a few little bumps due to the visit of this minor irritating lurgy, however, God has still overwhelmingly poured out His blessings on us. Below I've copied a short extract from the notes I read this morning...

Ponder for a moment that the oldest existing fragments of the Bible tell of God’s desire to bless. What a reminder of God’s boundless love and how He wants to be in a relationship with us. If you feel far from God today, hold tightly to the promise in these ancient words. May the Lord bless you; may the Lord keep you.









Friends, thanks for reading another one of my boring blogs! God loves you and wants to bless you. Just let Him in.    


             
                                  

Comments

  1. What a great blog. We so love that part of the country (particularly Sennen Cove with it's big crashy waves) so it was lovely to see it in your photos and read your descriptions of these beautiful and spectacular places. So sorry that you've both been feeling rotten. Hope you're feeling better now. Lots of love. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dont know why my message above came through as "unknown". How weird. Anyway Gordon, it's from me your big sister!! xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sally's Bottom

Coming home? Not yet!