Coming home? Not yet!



This last week was always going to be a bit strange. Why? Because it included 11th July. On 11th July last week England played Croatia in the semi-final of the World Cup... and lost 2-1 after extra time.
It's the first time they'd reached this stage for 28 years and they could have won! On 11th July 1966 the Opening Ceremony of the World Cup took place in England. On that occasion the hosts went on to win the tournament, the only time England have achieved it!

However, 11th July 1966 (52 years ago) is a far more significant and dark date in my own calendar. On that day my Dad died. So... whilst as a passionate football fan last Wednesday was exciting, nervous and ultimately disappointing... indeed it hurt... I'm balanced with the perspective of a tragic event which hit me like a bolt out of the blue 52 years ago and continues to impact my life.

I wonder... what would have happened if England had scored a second goal and got to the final? More importantly I wonder...  what would I be doing, where would I be, how different things might be, had Dad not died so early in his life? However, at the same time I give thanks that entirely though God's Grace alone I'm saved, not because of anything I've done but completely because of what He has done in Jesus Christ.

Despite tough times as a child and a hurt which remains I know God has shaped me through my circumstances (whether good, bad or in-between) to be the person I am today. Yes, I'm far from perfect (like all of us) nevertheless God has blessed me in extraordinary ways and loves me with a love totally beyond my comprehension. Consequently I won't be facing extra time, penalties or elimination. Simply by accepting His gift of Grace I get to live eternally in His presence! How cool is that!

So losing to Croatia was a blow but in the wider scheme of things its insignificant. The following day I read this prayer:

Lord, sometimes the struggles we face in life seem so big. But You are bigger. Help us to cling to Your promise of comfort in fearful moments and to experience Your loving provision as we trust You. 
            
So what else happened last week? On Monday after our morning dip in the sea we travelled to Helford for a circular walk out to Dennis Point. Along the way we experienced the the Fal estuary and gazed out at Falmouth Bay. It was another glorious walk, much of it through shaded woodland coupled with a cool breeze coming in off the sea. It was different to the usual coastal path but nevertheless totally beautiful in a different way. Whilst walking along we chatted and reflected about what God might be saying to us through this time away, what options are open to us and pondered how blessed these last few weeks have been.

The next day including more swimming then driving east again to Porthallow and walking the coastal path to Gillan and back. Then on to Coverack for evening fish and chips sitting by the harbour. We chatted with a couple and discovered one of them lived in Basingstoke!   

As well as the coastal path we've also taken in some more inland walks including parts of an ancient pilgrimage journey called St Michael's Way. 

It’s the only footpath in Britain that is part of a designated European Cultural Route as it's part of a network of pilgrim routes that lead to St James' Cathedral in Santiago de Compostela in northern Spain, one of the three most important sites of Christian pilgrimage in the world. The route, which dates back to pre-historic times (10000 BC to 410 AD), is thought to have been used by pilgrims and missionaries who arrived from Ireland or Wales and chose to abandon their ships and walk across the peninsula from Lelant to Marazion, rather than navigating the treacherous waters around Land's End.

Another rather 'different' trip saw Ruth take me on a walk to a quarry! To begin with I did wonder "why are we doing this"?!  However, we ultimately reached something called Rogers' Tower... to be fair the views were spectacular and Rogers' Tower (a folly) was like something out of a fairy-tale. At a nearby trig-point I somehow lifted my lovely wife up onto another pedestal!


This week we also visited the Gardens of Hogus House in Ludgvan which is the Old Rectory of the church we've been attending. We had to pay a small entry fee which also provided a hot drink and a cake. It was in aid of  Cancer Research UK. My word, what a posh garden and a lovely looking house enclosed by a wonderful stone perimeter  wall. We've walked past several times and wondered what it was like on the other side of the wall! It did feel like we were encroaching on an event reserved for the 'Great & the Good'! However, we entered the raffle and to our delight landed two prizes!

And so to Sunday... what a glorious day. Church was full of worship and such a friendly welcoming congregation. We really have felt at home here. Then it was out for our daily dip in the sea followed by a picnic lunch on the beach. Back in time to go and pick up Luca who we are dog sitting for the afternoon and evening (he is a joy). Watched the world cup final and then took Luca out for a walk by the coast. What a great day and a lovely was to end another brilliant week!

Rightly or wrongly I've chosen to publicly share these blogs over the last few weeks, reflecting, journalling and contemplating whilst living in a sort of bubble away from the normal pressures of life. Responsibilities are light and easy. I wake each day and essentially do what I like. This won’t last forever but being away from the usual routine offers an opportunity for true perspective. It’s certainly been a chance to sit back and wonder at this amazing creation all around me. 
It's reminded me how I’m just a tiny dot in the wider scheme of things. And yet I believe we are all fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalm 139:14).
Each of us is part of God’s creation, part of His plan and deeply loved and cherished. Is this experience guiding me to something (although I'm not yet sure what it is) whilst developing within me a more profound sense of humility? Can I let go of that restlessness which sometimes makes me dissatisfied with what I have and concerned about what everyone else is doing or thinking?!

Stopping for a bit is (I think) enabling me to let go. It's telling me I’m not at the centre, God is! My daily reading this week has reminded and led me to ponder this.... what's so wonderful is that God welcomes us into a relationship with Him, based on His total knowledge of who we are and how we have failed. His total awareness of our brokenness makes it all the more amazing that He desires for us to know Him. 

Lord, help me open my heart fully, trust You completely and allow You to shape my life. May I willingly accept the the strength and freedom You freely offer and serve You and others in a way that pleases and glorifies You. Amen.        




Comments

  1. You are turning into quite a philosopher, Gordon. Beautiful writing and great insight. Very humbling. Thanks. Karl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh...Thanks Karl. That's hugely encouraging... I do wonder if anyone reads these things. Thanks again. Gordon

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sally's Bottom

She ain't heavy, she's my Misses!