Busy doing nothing!



This is now the sixth week we've been away. I've never felt so relaxed and chilled in all my life! That is until this week when suddenly tension, nervousness and anxiety flooded back. Why? What happened? What went wrong?

In a word..."England"! My country of birth, more specifically its football team, came to trouble me once again! It was the same old story, the World Cup returned and my passion for football meant I was compelled to torture myself with England v Tunisia! Stroll on how can 90+ minutes be so stressful?! I realise it is totally ridiculous, after all this is just a football match but I can't seem to help myself.

Since the age of nine I've been obsessed with footy. Above is a photo of my school team (under 11's), can you spot me? Even though I'm 60 in October I still play 5-a-side every Wednesday evening for an hour (unless work or holiday gets in the way). Such is my competitive nature....when I get home Ruth can instantly tell whether I've won or lost simply by observing my persona as I walk (or sometimes hobble) through the door!

So this time away continues but for the moment the bliss and wonder I've been experiencing will be punctured every few days when an England match comes along. Still it won't be long before I can get back to the joy of this blessing as 'My Team' are sure to get knocked out of the tournament before too long! In the meantime... COME ON ENGLAND!!!

Before my evening torture session Ruth and I did have another brilliant day. The weather wasn't so great but the sea mist provided a strangely peaceful and eerie feel to our walk from Cape Cornwall to Sennen Cove and back including our usual picnic set against the spectacular backdrop of crashing waves and rocky coastline.

We're not even halfway through this period of sabbatical but already I'm wondering what it will be like when we return home. I'm confident that as I look back over this time away I'll recognise it as one of the best decisions I've ever made. I suspect it will remain forever one of the more enriching periods of my life which is remarkable given I'm denied seeing our wonderful children and family, friends, church family and work colleagues during this period. Perhaps part of this is to help me appreciate them even more... "Absence makes the heart grow stronger".

On Tuesday this week we walked two further sections of the Lizard Peninsula near Mullion cove. Walking in such beautiful scenery creates opportunity for silence, wonder and awe but it also inevitably creates opportunity for discussion. So for some of this time Ruth and I talked about what we might do when we return to 'normal' life. At one point Ruth commented how brilliant it currently is 'being busy doing nothing'. However, looking ahead we know there are many potential paths we could take. So...whilst we're busy doing nothing we seek a clear vision from God of what He might be calling us to...be that more of the same or something different.

The following day I read: 'We need a purpose for living that goes beyond providing for our own physical needs. Whom can you serve or help? What is your purpose for living'?

I also read... 'Even in our darkest moments, Christians can hold on to the promise of permanent joy in the company of God. And while we live, we enjoy relationship with Him. He fills all our moments with significance'. I then read this short prayer: 'Lord, grant me the strength to serve You with every breath I take, so that every moment of my remaining days matters to Your Kingdom'.

During this week we travelled to Portscatho to meet with friends Paul and Beverly Hartwell plus their dog, Rufus. I've known Paul almost as long as I've know Ruth (over 37 years) and Ruth has known him even longer!
I was also privileged to be Paul's best man when he married Beverly nearly 18 years ago. It was good to meet up with them at their favourite holiday destination (Paul has been going there annually for 50 years!). We quickly understood why... it is a beautiful place.

It's always good to meet with friends and the very next day I read a passage from Philippians. It reminded me in this precious time of 'being busy doing nothing'... I mustn't lose sight of the ultimate gift of eternal friendship with Jesus. I hope and pray I'll strive to grow deeper in my relationship with Christ seeking to ensure fellowship with Him as my top pursuit.


On Saturday we celebrated our 34th wedding anniversary. Breakfast out was followed by a trip into Penzance where the local community was celebrating Mazey Day. It's an annual festival of street parades, music, food and loads of people having fun. There was a wonderful atmosphere. Later in the evening we completed our own celebrations with supper on Portheras beach near Pendeen Lighthouse. When we arrived it was totally deserted until guests from a nearby wedding reception at the top of the cliff appeared.
It seemed strange as we celebrated our marriage to be with others celebrating a wedding on the very same day we tied the knot. Finally we watched the sun go down together - how romantic!


And so to Sunday... Church was packed and we therefore sat in a different place just behind a lady visiting from the Gulf region where her husband is a minister. Bizarrely he is hopefully soon to join her for a sabbatical! As you can imagine we had a lot in common and she invited us round for a cup of tea after the service. The conversation was helpful, both for us and I suspect for her. It was a fascinating and uplifting encounter. We closed with a time of prayer together.

Finally back to good old England! Ruth had already decided to go out while I watched the match... I guess she doesn't like to see me suffer (actually that's not quite how she'd put it)!!!? As it happens we were 2-0 before she could escape and by then I was almost relaxing. In the end I was sending her a text every time another goal was scored. 6-1! Busy doing nothing....COME ON ENGLAND!!!


    


       

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sally's Bottom

Coming home? Not yet!

She ain't heavy, she's my Misses!